Tuesday, February 23, 2016

"And retcons! You can’t delete a sin by just burning some shit any more, I believe."

The Taxonomy Of Sin | MORNING, COMPUTER: "Sin fascinates me: an entirely fictional concept, an invention that has defined the lives and behaviors of millions upon millions of people across centuries. Actual sin, internal sin, mortal sin, venial sin, the list seems endless. Transformative works built upon the original invention. And retcons! You can’t delete a sin by just burning some shit any more, I believe. The storytelling that is the bedrock of religions is frequently wonderful. 

I left angry, intolerant atheism back in my teens...  Atheism should be characterised, I believe, by a generally relaxed position of tolerance, and the peace that comes with knowing that it’s just us here and that this is not a rehearsal. I won’t be judged by a god or some mysterious universal machinery for being a shrieking hateful prick who doesn’t know how to choose a fight or operate an ethos: I’ll be judged by myself and other humans. That’s probably worse."


No comments:

Post a Comment